Museum & Science CEnter
RMSC CURIOSITY CAMPS
Stay curious with a hefty helping of hands-on, minds-on science and fun with camps at the RMSC this year. Get ready to share in new adventures, discover science, and explore exciting experiments!
Curiosity Campers enjoy unique, rewarding, and fun-filled educational experiences, interactions with scientists and other professionals and further inquiry into science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) topics.
🎁 Give the gift of camp!
You can help send a curious mind to camp this summer! We reserve a designated amount of spots in our Curiosity Camps for students with financial needs.
Sponsor a camper for a day for just $50–$250 for a whole week!
Best Of Rochester
Voted Best Camp for Kids
We are proud to share that the RMSC’s Curiosity Camps were voted CITY Magazine’s Best Camp for Kids for 2023 by the Rochester community!
Summer Curiosity Camp Opportunities
2023 Summer Camps at the Museum & Science Center
8 Week-Long Sessions | Wednesday, July 5–Friday, August 25
Get ready for a summer of (sticky, silly, UNBELIEVABLE) science with the RMSC’s Curiosity Camps! Led by experienced educators, let the RMSC Museum & Science Center be your classroom, playground, and maker-space. Conduct experiments and build robots, kick back with a show at the RMSC Strasenburgh Planetarium, and spark an idea for the next big thing as you wander exhibits and listen to our twin Tesla coils sing! We’ve got a wild summer in store for you—filled with forts, fairy tales, and toys (and engineering), backyard adventures, and animal inspiration.
Get ready to think on your feet, experiment and tinker, and solve problems with science. See you there!
2023 Summer Camps at the RMSC Cumming Nature Center
8 Week-Long Sessions | Wednesday, July 5–Friday, August 25, 2023
Explore the wonders of the woods with Summer Curiosity Camps at the RMSC Cumming Nature Center! Join our outdoor educators as we search for salamanders, build gnome homes, climb trees, and dig for artifacts. Each camp offers a different theme to immerse children in the natural world and spark their curiosity. With 900+ acres and 15 miles of hiking trails, the beautiful surroundings of the Nature Center are the perfect setting for campers to learn basic wilderness skills, nature science, outdoor team-building activities, nature awareness, nature-based art techniques, and more!
Transportation from/to Rochester is available for an additional fee. Scholarships are available.
Need help with registration? Have a question about our program offerings and activities?
Contact us at 585.271.4320 or email@example.com and someone will get back to you within 1-2 business days (M-F, 9am-5pm).
Looking for Curiosity Kids?
Have a 2-3 year old that’s a Junior Naturalist? Learn outdoors with your tot during this multi-day series about bugs, birds, and plants with RMSC Educators!
Interested in volunteering for Curiosity Camps?
Curiosity Camps Youth Volunteers (Ages 15–17) are essential to the educational mission of the RMSC’s camp programs. Gain volunteer experience while helping young minds create the memories of a lifetime.
Learn more about how our staff members will be working to ensure your campers stay safe and healthy.
Important Camp Information
Prior to registering, please review our policies for all of the additional information you’ll need to know before your camper’s first day! We’ll also send this document out via email the week before your camper attends camp.
- You may not register another person’s camper. If your camper plans to attend camp with a friend, please let us know during registration so that we can group them accordingly.
- Campers are grouped based on their ages at the start of camp.
- All campers must be toilet trained by the start of camp.
- All campers must bring their own lunch and snack(s).
Registration is required prior to the start of camp. Enrollment is limited; early registration is highly recommended. Members receive priority registration!
Need help registering or have a question about our program? Contact us at 585.271.4320 or firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you within 1-2 business days (M-F, 9am-5pm).
Drop-Off and Pick-up Procedures
For camps on the museum campus, drop-off and pick-up take place in the Eisenhart Auditorium (not the main museum building) located on the RMSC campus at 657 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14607. Times vary depending on the camper’s age and type of camp, see below:
Drop-off between 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM. Pick-up at 1 PM. Please note that Extended Care is not available for Mini Campers.
Drop-off between 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM. Campers arriving before 8:45 AM will need to register for Before Care. Pick-up at 2:30 PM. After Care is not available for Almost Camps. All Almost Campers must be picked up at 2:30 PM.
Full Day Camps
Drop-off between 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM. Campers arriving before 8:45 AM will need to register for Before Care. Pick up between 3:45 PM – 4:15 PM. Campers who are not picked up by 4:15 PM will be placed in After Care, and families will be charged accordingly.
- Authorized pick-ups must present a photo ID every time they come to pick up a camper.
- In the event your camper needs to be picked up early, please write the early pick-up time on that day’s sign-in sheet and notify a member of Camp Administration. In the event of an emergency, call 585.271.4320.
- Please note that early pick-ups between 3:30 – 3:45 PM are not always possible as groups are transitioning from their classrooms to dismissal.
Late Pick-Up Procedures
- Campers that have not been picked up by 4:15 PM will be enrolled in After Care and charged accordingly.
- Campers that have not been picked up by 5:30 PM will be charged a $10 late fee.
- Campers that have not been picked up by 5:45 will be charged a $25 late fee.
- If a camper has not been picked up by 6 PM and we are unable to reach an authorized pick-up adult, the Rochester Police Department will be notified.
Please note that Extended Care is not available for Mini Campers. After Care is not available for Almost Campers.
Types of Camps + Pricing
Introduce your youngest campers to hands-on science and summer fun with activities that help campers learn through play in a social setting. Campers must bring their own snack and lunch.
Mini Camp day
$180 per week
**Please note that Extended Care is not available for Mini Campers.
For “almost” a full day, Almost Campers enjoy fun and enriching learning experiences and explore the museum while preparing for a full day program. Campers must bring their own snack and lunch.**
Almost Camp day
9am–2:30pm (Before Care available)
$225 per week
**Please note that After Care is not available for Almost Campers.
Full DAy camps
Full Day Campers spend the whole day exploring the wonderful ways science opens up our eyes to the world! Investigate STEM topics, wander the halls of the RMSC, and let your curiosity run wild! Campers must bring their own snack and lunch.**
Full Camp day
9am–4pm (Before Care and After Care available)
$280-300 per week
Need help registering or have questions about our program? Contact us at 585.271.4320 or email@example.com and someone will get back to you within 1-2 business days (M-F, 9am-5pm).
extended care options
Need extra time before and after the camp day? Join us for extra science fun with unstructured exploration in small group settings. Save when you sign up for the whole week!
Available for Almost and Full Day Campers: $7/day or $30/week
Available for Full Day Campers: $7/day or $30/week
Extended Care Combo
Before Care and After Care for Full Day Campers: $50/week
scholarship applications are currently full
Applications for Summer Curiosity Camps are available on a first-come, first-served basis and are reviewed regularly. Applications must be submitted before June 1, 2023 for consideration.
The RMSC is a place that inspires and equips students to follow their own curiosity, where they can experience new delight and wonder upon each visit or dive into specific subjects to participate in solving the deepest challenges of our times. It is a place where each learner is encouraged to follow their own unique journey.
Financial assistance is available for programming across the RMSC. Scholarships are available for school groups within Monroe County, as well as individuals who would like to attend RMSC Curiosity Camp. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
The RMSC is grateful to our many generous donors who make this support possible:
- The Daisy Marquis Jones Foundation
- The Mittra Family Foundation
- The Eva Howe Stevens Scholarship Fund
- Bertha L. Guptil
- Avangrid Foundation in partnership with RG&E
- The RMSC Council
- The Bosch Community Fund
- The RMSC Council
- Dorthea Haus Ross
- Richard A. Lewis
- And individual camp sponsors
Scholarships cover 50% or 90% of the camp registration fee based on your child’s reduced or free lunch status:
- If your camper receives reduced lunch, you are eligible to receive a 50% scholarship. If your application is accepted, you will need to pay 50% of the registration fee.
- If your camper receives free lunch, you are eligible to receive a 90% scholarship. If your application is accepted, you will need to pay 10% of the registration fee.
Scholarship applications are currently full
Please check back often for updates!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does my camper need to be toilet trained?
Yes, all campers must be toilet trained in order to attend Curiosity Camps at the RMSC.
Who are your camp counselors?
Curiosity Camps Instructors are school teachers, museum professionals, and/or experts in the field who share our passion for life-long learning. In addition to the Instructor, each classroom is supported by Assistants, Interns, and Youth Volunteers.
What Happens at Camp?
Curiosity Camps let your camper discover science as a fun, creative way to explore the wonders of our world. With the RMSC as their playground, campers have access to the RMSC Museum & Science Center’s unique collections and team of specialists, hundreds of interactive exhibits, shows at the RMSC Strasenburgh Planetarium, and scientists from our community.
What should my Camper bring to camp?
- Please send your camper with a snack, lunch, and drink/water bottle. Please note that refrigeration is not available.
- Campers are encouraged to wear closed-toed shoes and comfortable clothing that can get messy.
- The RMSC is not responsible for the loss, destruction, or theft of any personal items (including clothing, book bags, purses, toys, games, electronic devices, cell phones, money, etc.) that your child may bring to camp. We highly encourage your camper to keep valuables and other personal items at home.
How do you manage camper allergies and medical needs?
Curiosity Camps strives to provide an accessible and safe environment for all campers. If your camper has a medical condition, severe allergies, dietary restrictions, or a disability, please note this information during registration. Camp Administration may contact you if there are questions or concerns regarding the successful accommodation of your camper. For more detailed information, please review our:
What is the refund policy
- To plan appropriately for staff and supplies and to maintain a safe, healthy environment, it is critical for us to accurately anticipate enrollment and attendance. Please note that all camp registration fees include a $75 non-refundable deposit (scholarship applications include a $15 non-refundable deposit).
- Withdrawals that occur more than 10 days before the start of camp will receive a full refund (minus the non-refundable deposit). For more detailed information, please review our:
What happens if my child is being bullied?
- In order to provide all campers and staff with a positive and safe experience, it is important that all campers exhibit proper behavior and self-control and act respectfully at all times. As necessary, Curiosity Camps will take action steps to manage behavior incidents and/or chronic behaviors as problems arise and progress.
- Camp Administration reserves the right to immediately dismiss a camper from current and future camp sessions at any point for conduct that is deemed detrimental to the well-being of other campers and staff, or to the overall operation of the camp. Refunds will not be given (for current or future camp sessions) if campers are dismissed from Curiosity Camps programs due to behavioral reasons. For more detailed information, please review our:
Do you provide financial assistance? What about Payment plans?
- Scholarships for summer Curiosity Camps are available on a first-come, first-served basis and cover 50% or 90% of the camp registration fee based on your child’s reduced or free lunch status. Register for camp and apply for a scholarship online. Paper applications are available.
- During registration, you can select our payment plan option. You’ll pay a non-refundable deposit when you register, then 50% is due on March 1, 2023 and the remainder on June 1, 2023. Please note that the payment plan is set to auto-pay, meaning you will need to provide a credit card in order to use the plan.
WHAT OUR FAMILIES ARE SAYING:
I sent my 2 children (along with some friends and cousins) to RMSC day camp for 2 different weeks this summer. We were so impressed by everything! The measures taken to keep the campers safe, the organization and care of the staff and the overall positive atmosphere made for an incredible experience for my family. The kids came home every day with a smile on their face. They loved their counselors, made new friends, and loved the activities so much. I cannot say enough good things about the RMSC summer camp. Thank you for giving the kids a safe and fun experience to break up a very tough summer. We HIGHLY recommend this camp and can’t wait to sign up again next year. We are lucky to have you in our community.Jenna Knauf
Please thank all of your staff for me! My son really enjoyed camp this week. Your approach to the recent requirements was well thought out, and it runs like a well oiled machine. I felt perfectly comfortable sending my son there. He had so much fun and talked about his one counselor Koa non-stop!Carrie Webster
We’ve loved having RMSC be an extension of our bubble in these crazy times, and we are so appreciative of all the extra organization and coordination you all have done to make it a safe, healthy, wholesome, and FUN place for my son to spend his summer days. The programming is so well-crafted for maximum engagement – with each week’s themes, different parts of my son’s personality have been highlighted. The care with which it is all put together and shared with the kids is so clear in the way he’s absorbed the information. You’ve planted seeds in his brain that have taken root; as parents, it’s the best kind of support to have.Anonymous