ROCHESTER, NY—RMSC After Dark: Lights Out will have the 21 and older crowd celebrating the International Year of Light at the Rochester Museum & Science Center (RMSC). The unique summer party, this time expanding across the Museum, Strasenburgh Planetarium and outdoor campus, takes place from 7pm through 11pm on Friday, August 7. At RMSC After Dark: Lights Out, attendees will experience an illuminated evening of music, fun and spectacular science. Guests will have free rein to explore the interactive exhibits on all three floors of the Museum, see shows at the Strasenburgh Planetarium and gather outdoors for experiments, food trucks and other fun at the RMSC. Entranced by dazzling colors, flashy LEDs and fiery explosions all night long, guests have the opportunity to:
- Explore light like never before in our new permanent exhibition, Illumination: The World of Light and Optics.
- Experience several music laser shows in the Strasenburgh Planetarium at various times throughout the evening.
- Watch Tesla coils zap musical lightning across the Electricity Theater.
- See science experiments, including thermite explosions, in action.
- Make their own lava lamp sensory bag to take home.
- Jam to live music by DJ Alykhan.
- Marvel at Fire & Spice bellydancers adorned with lights.
- See a projection of historical images on the Museum’s outdoor wall by the patio.
- Discover nocturnal animals from the Seneca Park Zoo Wegmans Zoomobile.
- Enjoy food and drinks available for purchase at food trucks and cash bars. Food trucks include Cheesed and Confused, Chef’s Catering and Papa Gig’s. Pudgy Girl Bakery will sell desserts.
The RMSC hosts several RMSC After Dark adult events throughout the year, and this is the seventh event. Attendance nearly doubled between the first and second events and several of the past events featured sold-out or nearly sold-out crowds. The theme of each event changes and activities are designed based on the science and history associated with the theme. Past themes include Geek Chic Prom, Prehistoric Party, The Science of Sound, Carnival of Curiosity, Sci-Fi, and Repeal: A Prohibition Era Event. Costumes are always encouraged.
Pre-sale tickets: RMSC Members: $9; General Public: $12; Day of
event tickets: $14
Tickets can be purchased at www.rmsc.org, at the RMSC Welcome Center or by calling 585.697.1942. Registration is strongly encouraged. Must be 21 or older to attend. Must have proof of ID at the door. RMSC After Dark events are sponsored by City Newspaper. The theme sponsor is ORAFOL Display Optics. The check-in sponsor is Yelp Rochester. For high-resolution images and additional information, contact Amanda Bayer, Communications Specialist, RMSC at 585.697.1962 or email@example.com.
Rochester Museum & Science Center (RMSC) includes the Science Museum, Strasenburgh Planetarium and Cumming Nature Center. Offering experiences at the Museum with more than 200 interactive exhibits, Planetarium with a 65-foot dome and Nature Center on 900 acres, the RMSC stimulates community interest in exploration. In addition, the more than 1.2 million RMSC collection items tell the story of Rochester’s past including its rich history of innovation and invention. RMSC receives major funding from Monroe County, where it is one of the top three most visited attractions serving children and families. For more information about RMSC, visit www.rmsc.org. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.