ROCHESTER, NY—The Rochester Museum & Science Center (RMSC) recognized area educators and organizations making a difference and exciting the community about opportunities in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) at the RMSC STEM Awards presented by GW Lisk. The dinner and awards ceremony were held on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018 in RMSC’s Patricia F. Hale Gallery.
“It was great night and an honor to be among the talented and committed STEM specialist in the Rochester community” said Jeff Burkey, chair, RMSC STEM Awards committee. “We are already in the planning process for next year and look forward to receiving RMSC STEM Award nominations once we open them up to the community in early 2019.”
Winners of the 2018 RMSC STEM Awards presented by GW Lisk
STEM Catalyst Awards: These awards recognize area organizations or individuals that develop and encourage an environment that promotes innovation in science and technology, or that has utilized science and technology to form a lasting impact on the Greater Rochester Region. STEM Catalyst Awards are presented in three categories: Agriculture, Manufacturing and Optics. The 2018 winners for these awards are:
- STEM Catalyst Award winner in the Agriculture category: Red Jacket Orchards
- STEM Catalyst Award winner in the Manufacturing category: The Gleason Works
- STEM Catalyst Award winner in the Optics category, sponsored by New York Photonics: Luminate
STEM Education Awards: Presented at elementary, secondary and university levels, these awards recognize innovative teaching in STEM education. Educators and/or administrators are recognized for innovation in inspiring students to understand, appreciate, and apply STEM concepts from kindergarten through higher education. The 2018 winners for these awards are:
- STEM Education winner, K–6: Jason DeJohn, Judy Kinz, Parker Ormerods, Tim Scheg, Katie VanEps; STEM team of teachers, East Irondequoit School District
- STEM Education winner, 7–12, sponsored by NextCorps: Mary Bunn, science teacher, All City High, Rochester City School District
- STEM Education Winner, Higher Education: Women in Science (WISe), Rochester Institute of Technology, College of Science
Rochester Museum & Science Center (RMSC) includes the Science Museum, Strasenburgh Planetarium and Cumming Nature Center. Offering experiences at the Museum with more than 200 interactive exhibits, Planetarium with a 65-foot dome and Nature Center on 900 acres, the RMSC stimulates community interest in exploration. In addition, the more than 1.2 million RMSC collection items tell the story of Rochester’s past and present, including its rich history of innovation and invention. RMSC receives major funding from Monroe County, where it is one of the top three most visited attractions serving children and families. For more information about RMSC, visit RMSC.org. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.