ROCHESTER, NY— Rochester Museum & Science Center (RMSC) will offer free admission to its Science Museum on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019 as part of Smithsonian magazine’s annual Museum Day. Museum Day is an annual celebration of boundless curiosity hosted by Smithsonian magazine. Participating museums and cultural institutions across the country provide free admission for two people to anyone presenting a Museum Day ticket. Tickets must be obtained in advance through the Smithsonian magazine website.
In addition to enjoying RMSC’s regular programming, Museum Day visitors will be invited to participate in a Museum-wide scavenger hunt. Other experiences will include:
- Science Encounters: Step up to our cart of science and discover physics, chemistry, nanotechnology, and everything in between. With demos taking place every hour, there are plenty of opportunities to reward your curiosity!
- Global Soundscapes Mission to Record the Earth, 1:30 p.m.:..can you hear that? It’s the sound of the Earth! Global Soundscapes takes you on a sound safari to explore our planet with your ears.
- Live Science Shows, 3 p.m.: The RMSC Players bring fiery explosions, extreme temperatures, and amazing antics to their stage performances in the Bausch Auditorium.
- Electricity Theater, 12 2, and 4 p.m.: Featuring two six-foot Tesla coils, this musical electricity show amazes visitors as arcs of lightning light up the theater. Our Faraday Cage let’s you safely get between the coils to see the electricity up close.
- Science On a Sphere, 12:30 and 2:30 p.m.: A 3-D projection system displays real-time Earth and planetary science data on our ‘floating’ five-foot sphere, which comes to life as animated weather patterns, atmospheric storms, and seismic activity move across the globe.
RMSC is one of three area museums participating in Museum Day this year: The Genesee Country Village & Museum and George Eastman Museum are also offering free admission for the day. For specific information on hours and programming, visit their websites: GCV.org and Eastman.org.
For additional information, contact Mare Millow, Marketing Communications Manager, RMSC, 585.697.1944, email@example.com.
Rochester Museum & Science Center (RMSC) includes the Science Museum, Strasenburgh Planetarium and Cumming Nature Center. Offering experiences at the Museum with more than 200 interactive exhibits, Planetarium with a 65-foot dome and Nature Center on 900 acres, the RMSC stimulates community interest in exploration. In addition, the more than 1.2 million RMSC collection items tell the story of Rochester’s past and present, including its rich history of innovation and invention. RMSC receives major funding from Monroe County, where it is one of the top three most visited attractions serving children and families. For more information about RMSC, visit RMSC.org. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.